Thursday, January 26, 2012

Salvador Dali Elephants - grade 4/5

This is a project that was just SO much fun. I got the lesson from this website, and I basically followed the instructions to a T.

Class one: Students did a group draw with me, drawing the Salvador Dali inspired elephant in marker (this took the better part of the period.) They also added in lines for the ground and water. Some chose not to put water, which is fine. When they were finished, they took a wet paintbrush and went over the lines, turning it into watercolor. The last thing we did for the day was draw on the shadows. I did a demonstration on the board, and most of them were able to get them, although some did struggle. I wanted to make sure that they got the shadows in during the first class, so that they didn't lose track of which marker they had been using.

Class two: We broke out the chalk pastels and they got to work! As I've said before, chalk pastels are my absolute favorite medium to work with, and I am so happy to be able to show kids how to use them. I did a demonstration about how to tap off the extra dust, so that they don't mix the colors. We practiced blending with our fingers. They were allowed to chose whatever colors and effects they wanted, although most stuck with similar colors to the example I had on the board. When they had finished the background, they cut out the blanket using scrapbooking paper, and glued on decorative jewels as the finishing touch. I'm SO impressed!





 Here's a few pictures of them working on them. They worked SO hard!

Cute story - I told the kids about my blog today, and one of them asked "Do you have a spot for comments?" When I said yes, he said "Does anyone ever comment and say my artwork is good?" Cute, right? I told him any comments I do get are usually more general, about all of the work. I think it's funny that that's where his train of thought went, though!

1 comment:

  1. Hiya, I’m really glad I have found this info. Nowadays bloggers publish only about gossip and web stuff and this is actually frustrating. A good site with interesting content, that is what I need. Thank you for making this web site, and I’ll be visiting again. Do you do newsletters by email?
    wall clock designs

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...